ABOUT       ARCHIVE          RSS       MOBILE       SUBMIT   
Loading

6/28/2011

HOMEWORLDS


HOMEWORLDS is an exploration of family secrecy that seeks to alter the limits of both family and archive. It constructs and complicates the story of my recently discovered family in Holland, resulting from my grandfather’s affair over 50 years ago.

In the process of learning about my Dutch relatives I recorded interviews, conversations, and letters with my family, friends, colleagues & therapist. Over 20 hours of audio were edited into small clips, and grouped in themes.

The physical installation involves five radios from different eras, each of which can be tuned through to find five radio stations onto which I've broadcast my audio recordings. The radios all play at once in a single room, creating a cacophony of voices. Viewers move through the space, spending time with different radios, tuning them through the full FM spectrum, and catch pieces of the family archive.

Below is an audio clip which recreates the over-lapping nature of the installation, followed by the separated tracks.







HOMEWORLDS

Bernard and Ruth Fuller, circa 1940






Letter From Annie Kluen






Bubbie






Dad






Therapy

Dutch family, circa 1980

0 comments:

Post a Comment